Identity & Mission
Who we are and what we believe
Our Mission Statement
Based upon the authority of the Bible and the power of the Holy Spirit, the mission of the Bemidji Evangelical Covenant Church is to proclaim the gospel and provide a spiritual home where people belong to Jesus Christ, fellowship with God's people, grow in Him, and serve others throughout the world.
Our Core Values
- To define our worth by our identity in Jesus Christ.
- To be a community of prayer and worship empowered by the Holy Spirit.
- To build a people with a Biblical perspective on life, and prepare them for ministry.
- To be a caring congregation, responsive to the spiritual, emotional, and physical needs of others.
- To be intentional in reaching unchurched people throughout the world with the love of Jesus Christ.
- To be responsible and accountable to God and others with dignity and love.
- To manage our time, abilities, resources and lifestyles responsibly.
- To pursue more effective ways to achieve our mission, here and around the world.
- To hold leadership and organizational structure subservient to the mission of the church.
- To see leadership as servanthood.
Our National Affiliation
We are affiliated with the Evangelical Covenant Church, a rapidly growing multi-ethnic denomination in the United States and Canada with Ministries on five continents of the world. Founded in 1885 by Swedish Immigrants, the ECC values the Bible as the Word of God, the gift of God's grace and ever-deepening spiritual life that comes through faith in Jesus Christ, the importance of extending God's love and compassion to a hurting world, and the strength that comes from unity within diversity. The Evangelical Covenanent Church is uniquely identified by the following markers.
- Evangelical, but not exclusive
- Biblical, but not doctrinaire
- Traditional, but not rigid
- Congregational, but not independent
If you'd like to read more about the Evangelical Covenant Church, its Affirmations, History, etc, you can visit the national website at www.covchurch.org.
Our Regional Affiliation
The office of our regional network of Covenant churches, the Northwest Conference (which covers Minnesota, the Dakotas, and western Wisconsin) is based in Minneapolis.